'সু স্বাগতম' পুরুলিয়া পৌরসভা আপনাকে স্বাগত জানায় ,পানীয় জলের অপচয় বন্ধ করুন , সঠিক সময়ে কর প্রদান করুন , রাস্তাঘাট পরিষ্কার পরিচ্ছন্ন রাখুন , উন্নয়নমূলক কাজে পৌরসভার সহিত সহযোগিতা করুন , এলাকায় গাছ লাগান , কোন অভিযোগ থাকলে পৌরসভার সাথে যোগাযোগ করুন । 'নমস্কার' 


Latest News


Welcome to Purulia Municipality

 

Welcome to Purulia Municipality

 

Welcome to Purulia Municipality

 

Welcome to Purulia Municipality

 

Welcome to Purulia Municipality

 


     

                        

Historical Background

 

The district Purulia has attained its present status after undergoing massive changes in the territory over decades from what was known earlier as Vajra Bhumi.
From archaeological surveys and the relics and the inscriptions (Jaina Bhagavati-Sutra), which have been deciphered till date, Purulia is known to be existing even in the circa 5th century A.D. as a significant part of the territory of 16 Mahajanapadas. The ancient history of Purulia was depicted with the name Vajra-Bhumi. Vajra-Bhumi (present Purulia), in the medieval times includes the whole part of present state of Jharkhand.
Vajra -Bhumi has passed through several hands, has underwent massive change and the whole district has continued to exist as fragmented sections controlled by several kings. Finally the entire territory of Bengal came under the Muslim sway in 1365, when the Afghan Chief Bakhtiyar Khalji ousted the last Sena King Lakshman Sena from Bengal. Bengal reached its culmination in the Sultanate régime, who consolidated the disintegrated portions of Bengal and established a separate territory. Following the ancient chronicle accounts of Purulia it was under these Subha or the Sultans, the broken fragments of Purulia and other parts of Bengal were united.
In the year 1765, demolishing the last sovereign king of Bengal Siraj-ud-daulah in the battle of Plassey, the British take over the sovereignty of Bengal. The recorded history of Purulia begins with the suzerainty of the British in the entire tract of Bengal. The British finally attained the grant of Diwani of Bengal, Bihar and Orissa. In 1805, by Regulation of XVIIII, the British formed a new district called "Jungle Mahals", incorporating 23 Parganas and Mahals, including the present Purulia. In 1833 jungle Mahals was again disintegrated and a new district "Manbhum" was constituted with its headquarter at Manbazar. Manbhum was a vast district including the areas of Bardhaman & Bankura of present West Bengal and Dhanbad, Dhalaibhum, Saraikela and Kharswan of present Jharkhand.
As the history of Purulia depicts, in 1838, the district headquarter was shifted to present Purulia for administrative convenience. Since Purulia was been recognized as the district headquarter of Jungle Mahals, it was withdrawn from the direct administration and placed under the intervention of the delegates of the British Raj. An officer called Principal assistant to the agent of the Governor General to the South West Frontier ruled Purulia. The abrupt alteration and the rapid changes continue to illustrate the history of Purulia even after independence and partition of Bengal. Finally with the act of Transfer of Territories in 1956, the district of Manbhum was separated between Bihar and West Bengal and the present district of Purulia was born out of that separated tract of Manbhum on 1st November 1956.